The Mettlach 2.0 project
The Old Abbey in Mettlach has been Villeroy & Boch's headquarters for over 200 years. Jean-François Boch purchased the former Benedictine monastery in 1809 and set about restoring the building, which had sustained severe damage during the War of the First Coalition from 1792 onwards. This marked the start of a very close relationship between the company and the town of Mettlach. The firm's growing success drove demand for more production facilities, leading to dense construction within the grounds. The renovation of the company's headquarters is an important component of "Mettlach 2.0", a local development project initiated by
the Mettlach community and Villeroy & Boch. The objective of the project is to update the town's image to make Mettlach an even more attractive shopping and industrial heritage tourist destination, while at the same time creating a modern working environment for Villeroy & Boch employees. The project encompasses the renovation and conversion of buildings within the grounds of the Old Abbey, dismantling of old production facilities to free up more space, redesign of outside areas and greater emphasis for the historic character of the Abbey.
Mettlach 2.0 will offer Villeroy&Boch employees a modern working environment, as well as creating new experiences, leisure and shopping areas for residents, visitors and tourists.